Sustainable Bedding- What’s in your bed?
I feel like we’re putting a lot of emphasis on Fashion, but what about your bedding? Did you know that throughout your lifetime, you will spend about 26 years asleep? That’s huge! All that time can be used to enhance your health and beauty or eat away at it. One of the first things to be aware of is chemical exposure from your sleep surfaces. Lots of families can be exposed to dangerous, even carcinogenic toxins without evening knowing it. Creepy right? Here’s a list:
- Pesticides and Insecticides – Massive amounts of these toxic chemicals are sprayed on cotton each year. They’re super harmful to the field workers & study show a rise in infertility for women living in the surrounding areas.
- Formaldehyde – This is a strong-smelling chemical coating that’s applied to linens for a wrinkle-free effect. The Nati onal Cancer Institute, short-term studies show that it can cause irritation to our skin, nose, and throat and is a low-level carcinogen.
- Toxic Dye (Azo Dyes) – Can cause skin irritation and are potentially carcinogenic.
Don’t worry! There’s s an obvious solution to this; Look for bedding that are GOTS certified (Global Organic Textile Standard). Here is why:
- It contains at least 95% organic fiber.
- They’re never treated with bleach, formaldehyde, or any other toxic substances.
- They’re only colored with nontoxic dyes.
- They are produced in a mill that enforces strict social and environmental standards, treating their employees and the earth with deep respect. GOTS certification means that our products meet the very highest standards.
I received my Sleep and Beyond sheet when I was 8 months pregnant. It was the BEST gift since I spent so much time in bed after giving birth, breastfeeding, reading, resting, and sleeping. I eventually moved Nomi to her crib when she turned 7 months, and YES, they have crib sheets too! We’ve now had our sheets for about 2.5 years and washed them every 14 days, and I shit you not; they are still SUPER soft like babyface soft after all this time (see pic below). We also got the duvet cover to complete the look. Sustainability in bedding is sooo important, and Sleep and Beyond’s linens are GOTS certified, Hypoallergenic, and give back 5% to charity which is AWESOME!
Pricing: I always calculate (cost per wear) but in this case; Cost per sleep/night.
Queen size bundle (1 flat sheet, 1 fitted sheet, and 2 pillowcases) $169
Cost per sleep/night:
- 1 year: 0.46 cents per night.
- 3 years: 0.15 cents per night.
- 5 Years: 0.9 cents per night.
Source Sustabinable Native
Comments are closed here.